Impacts Patient Care
Impacts Patient Safety
Impacts Patient Satisfaction
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
George Bernard Shaw
7 % Verbal
- Words are patient friendly
- Avoid jargon, abbreviations
- Explain medical terminology
- Maintain cultural sensitivity
38 % Vocal
- Wait time
55 % Non-Verbal
- Eye Contact
- Other Facial Expressions
- Overall Appearance
- Was the message received?
- Was the message understood?
- Did you repeat what the patient said?
- Did you paraphrase what the patient?
- Did you ask open-ended questions?
“I’ve learned that people (the patient) will forget what you said
People (the patient) will forget what you did
But people (the patient) will never forget how you made them feel.”